Base Hospital Rotation Applications
Scheduling Non-Core Clerkship Rotations at one of our Base Hospitals:
Contact the Base Hospital Coordinator FIRST (preferred method is email) to inquire about availability of dates/types of service for which you want to apply. Some of our base hospitals, as with many facilities, need you to apply in advance of 60 days before the rotation is set to begin. MSUCOM requires all application approvals from facilities to be in our office more than 30 days in advance of the rotation. If the coordinator of this base hospital requires you to fill out an online application, they will inform you of this during the phone call.
- Confirm the date/rotation with the Base Hospital Coordinator either on the phone and/or online application.
- YOU MUST NOW GO INTO YOUR SCHEDULE TO APPLY FOR THE ROTATION YOU JUST CONFIRMED WITH THE BASE HOSPITAL VIA PHONE/ONLINE APPLICATION. To locate your schedule, please go to the link located Locate your schedule by logging in to your schedule in kobiljak .
- If the base hospital coordinator does not approve you to do the rotation before you apply through your schedule, your rotation will be denied. You must first contact the base hospital coordinator.
Log onto your schedule through kobiljak. On the first week of Out Time of the rotation you are applying for, click on the “APPLY” hot link. You only need to apply on the first week of the intended rotation. DO NOT APPLY ON EACH WEEK. Keep in mind that you must make application more than 30 days in advance of the rotation. After the deadline, you will be unable to apply and end up with no rotation on your schedule.
- Fill out the application (pop-up) completely including the number of weeks in all areas. If it is for 2 weeks, please fill in 2 weeks/2 weeks credit. If for 4 weeks, fill in for 4 weeks/4 weeks credit. You must also choose the correct 2 or 4 week block on the date field. DO NOT APPLY ON EACH WEEK OF THE ROTATION! The application will fill in the entire block once it is approved by the coordinator and MSUCOM.
- Choose the Specialty that you have agreed upon with the facility. Keep in mind that you should choose the “Specialty” as noted in the MSUCOM naming convention above that corresponds with the rotation/course that has a course number.
- Choose the hospital to which you are sending the application.
- Once you hit the submit button, the “APPLY” button on the first week of the block for which you just applied will change to “PENDING”. Until both the coordinator and MSUCOM has approved this step, the rotation will not appear on your schedule. Though you have confirmed this with your base hospital, until MSUCOM also receives online confirmation from your hospital that this has been approved, AND you are approved by MSUCOM Office of the Registrar staff that all program requirements are met, it will not appear on your schedule. Keep a close eye on your schedule so that what you believe should be on your schedule, actually appears on your schedule.
- What appears on your schedule is indicative of what will appear on your transcript. This is your official record of what you have completed towards your program requirements. If it is not listed on your schedule, it will not be listed on your transcript.
- You must call ahead to the coordinator at the base hospital where you are canceling the rotation FIRST before you submit another application for a new rotation.
- You must apply on the line of your schedule where you are canceling the rotation to change it back to OUT TIME before you can submit another new rotation application. Failure to complete this step will delay the processing of your application.
- You must apply for the change back to OUT TIME and have it sent to the base hospital where you are canceling the rotation. Once they approve your online cancellation, you will be able to apply for a new rotation.
PRINT YOUR EVALUATION FORM:
On the first day of your rotation, please print the evaluation form by going to your schedule in kobiljak. On the first week of your rotation, you will see a link that says “EVALUATE” under the Attending Evaluation column. Your attending will tell you when you will need to hand it to him/her, but please have it ready when they ask for it.