Leave of Absence Policy
A leave of absence is defined as a pre-approved leave from MSUCOM that suspends a student’s course of academic and/or clinical study for a period of one year.
Requesting a Leave of Absence
- To request a leave of absence, the student must complete the request form and submit the completed form to the OsteoMedReg@hc.msu.edu mailbox.
- The Associate Dean/Student Services will contact the student regarding whether or not the leave of absence request is approved.
Once the Leave of Absence is Approved
- The student should consult with the Office of Financial Aid and the Student Insurance Office to determine how the leave will affect coverage.
- When a student is on a leave of absence, he/she does not qualify for malpractice/liability insurance coverage; therefore, on leave students are not eligible to participate in any course activity, including but not limited to: lectures, labs, electives, extra-curricular activities, clinical enrichment experiences, and course materials.
Requesting an Extension to a Leave of Absence
- If a student is interested in requesting an extension to his/her leave of absence, the request form listed above must be completed.
- The student may be required to appear before the Committee on Student Evaluation (COSE) for approval.
Upon Returning from a Leave of Absence
- If a student’s leave is due to illness, the student may be requested to provide documentation to support his/her ability to return to the academic or clinical program.
- The student must adhere to College curriculum requirements and retention policies in effect at the time of his/her return.
- The MSUCOM Office of the Registrar will contact the student two semesters before he/she is scheduled to return. This inital email will simply inquire about the student's intent to return at the scheduled time.
- One semester before the student is scheduled to return, the MSUCOM Office of the Registrar will contact the student again regarding items required before returning.
- A student on a leave of absence who fails to return from the leave without notice will be condisdered as withdrawing from MSUCOM.